Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Kids From Nowhere by George Guthridge

Either during or right after college, I read a book called The Kids from Nowhere by George Guthridge. It tells the story of a white man from the states who moves his family to Gambell to teach in the Yup'ik Eskimo village. Many of the struggles that the author encounters are what many teachers in rural AK face even today.

I recently came across a blog of another teacher that works in Tununak, AK. She shared some quotes from the book that really spoke to her, and as I reread them I thought, "Oh my goodness. These quotes resonate with me so much more now that I have been in the village for a few years. Wow." Thanks for sharing, Monica! Beautiful, powerful, and familiar words by Mr. Guthridge:


1)
“The breeze blows my hair and chills my cheeks. I feel alive, here at the edge of the world, and realize a terrible truth. My heart belongs here, where I can never remain forever, for my people are of another place, my ancestors and relatives scattered and ultimately unknowable.” -George


2)
“You a good man, but you troubled,” he says. “You know what your trouble is? You half Eskimo, George. Somebody forgot to tell you that,” stated a Native man from Gambell.

"My trouble is that I’m a man without a culture,” responds George.


3)
Going home for the summer?” asked the pilot.

“No, leaving home for the summer.” answered George.

2 comments:

  1. Very fine blog and slide show. We've just returned from Alaska where I managed to get a signed copy of The Kids from Nowhere, so I'm looking forward to reading your impressions of the book. Peace and all good things for you in blogging and in life.

    Sincerely,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane,
    So glad you have found and enjoyed my blog... how awesome that you received a signed copy of this book! Our high school English teacher is having her students read the book right now... I think I will reread it this year and give you a post ;)
    Warm regards,
    Misty

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for keeping up with me! (;