Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Teaching in Rural Alaska: Part 6

Alrighty, it's that time of year for job fairs! There is a Graduation Song that offers some advice to high school graduates... as I type I can't help but think that prospective employees of rural Alaska need an advice song, as well...

1) Flexibility is the name of the game. The weather can change your travel plans. It can change whether or not you have visitors, mail, or food. It can be the deciding factor as to whether or not we get to participate in sports. It can determine whether or not you have properly working plumbing... don't be fooled though... it is a rare day this Alaskan school has a "snow day." In fact, we have had more sewer/plumbing days than snow days since I have been in VAK. Once you are here, you will realize that an attitude of flexibility is an essential part of teaching in rural Alaska in general, otherwise... you will drive yourself nuts and there is a guarantee you won't last out here, or you will just be miserable. PS If you are miserable in rural Alaska because it is not for you... leave (after you have finished your contract time, of course ;)! Life is too short not to be happy and the communities in rural Alaska deserve teachers who want to be where they are teaching ;)

2) Cultural Sensitivity/Awareness is key. If you have any experience traveling abroad or working in cross-cultural education, this would serve you well for teaching in rural Alaska (though it is not a must). There is a huge focus on the local community and its culture. Not all villages are the same... here in Chevak, we focus on the yuraqing (Eskimo dancing), subsistence seasons (moose/seal/bird hunting, berry gathering, egg collecting, etc), Cup'ik language and more... come with an interest to learn about the local culture! :)

3) The school is a focal point of the community. There is no playground other than the school playground. There is no main community gathering building or rec center, other than the school. Often the school building is used for school nights, yuraqing (Eskimo dancing), potlucks/potlatches, basketball tournaments (school and community games), and community meetings. The school in many ways belongs to the community, though some would debate that. It really is a community gathering place.

4) Honeybuckets! Yes, yes... sometimes... a few times a year, maybe... you will be sitting your happy tushy on a five-gallon bucket (that may or may not have a lid, depending on your purchase) and you will be using this as your toilet :) If you are like me, you will be unprepared and have to use a Clorox wipes container at first... hey, it works! The local store does sell these 5 gallon buckets with lids... if they are in stock. Otherwise, plan on bringing one. Typically, we only go on honey buckets when the weather gets so cold and the plumbing is no longer functioning properly. If the school plumbing is not working properly, then that is when we have sewer/plumbing days and school is canceled, or children are sent home if they were already at school.

5) Relationships are key to all that you do. In all that we do in life, building relationships increases trust and a deeper understanding of the person you are investing in. There are many wonderful people to get to know in Chevak, but it takes investment. Don't be a triangle teacher (school, post office, teacher housing)! If you come to Chevak and you only go to the school and the post office and then back to your housing every day... you will be missing out on a great deal, and your impact here just won't be what it could be. There is much to learn and experience, but you have to want it. And, sometimes you just have to be willing to ask (invite yourself).

If you can make a commitment of at least two years to a community (assuming you gel well), this alone will be a huge impact. The first year, you will be learning the community, how things work, getting to know the students (they will be testing you), etc. Throughout the history of schooling in Chevak, many teachers have come and gone, as this is not our permanent home. Choosing to commit to a couple of years, at minimum (if you are happy and feel you are serving a purpose here), will be a huge deal.

Lastly, you must keep in mind... "You are not in Kansas anymore." :) For now, that is all I have. Please feel free to contact me regarding MY experience here in Chevak. You must remember though, your experiences in life are what you make them. I have chosen to make this my experience, and I have chosen to embrace... the good, the bad, the ugly, and the great. This is my temporary home.




Happy Trails!
Misty

5 comments:

  1. Hey Misty!

    I am a college student from Central Michigan University, and I heard about teaching opportunities in villages in Alaska like the one that you are in. I was reading your blog, and it looks like it would be right up my ally. I love the outdoors, backpacking, and I am passionate about impacting kids; I feel like this opportunity encompasses all of these things.

    Do you know of any websites that I can look at that can give me specific locations or more that are in need of teachers or just more information? Also, can you give me an idea of the average starting wage for a teacher because I will also be graduating with 60k+ in student loans that I will have to repay, and I want to see if this would even be financially feasible before I get too excited.

    Thank you for all of your posts!

    -Joshua Zimmerman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Josh!

    Glad you found my site... thanks for your interest ;) A more specific site would be ATP (Alaska Teacher Placement). It has all the current job openings for Alaskan schools. Be sure to check out the forum/chat on there, as it offers tips on how to land a job (contact specific districts via email and phone, broaden your search, be persistent, research the potential village you will be going to, etc). I cannot say for certain, but I will throw out a guess here... the average starting teacher (BA+0) is around $42,000? Definitely not much lower than that... if it is. The ATP website might offer some payscales for you to look at as well (or try googling Alaska teacher payscales). Keep in mind that traveling to/from rural AK can be spendy. For example, it is $800 RT for me to go from my village, Chevak, back home to Anchorage ("big city" in AK). Then you have to factor in your ticket back to your home state, should you choose to return there for your holidays and/or summers.

    Hope this is somewhat helpful. Generally, March-May is a good time to check out ATP when seeking rural jobs. There were just a couple of job fairs in April, but I know there are positions still listed. If it's what you want, keep on the look out throughout the summer... Good luck, and please don't hesitate to contact me if you have further questions.

    Happy trails,
    Misty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Misty!

    I really appreciate all of the help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just came across your blog while doing some (very informal) research for a class I am taking on Alaska History. I am a teacher in the Anchorage School District and was curious to find out more about your experiences teaching in the bush. I am specifically "researching" how to keep teachers in the bush communities and reduce the high turnover rate. Any thoughts would be appreciated. If it would be easier through e-mail, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings, Michelle. It sounds like the research you are doing is right up my alley! I'd be happy to be of help. Shoot me your email address (work addy is preferred), and I will get back to you. If you aren't on a time crunch, it might be possible for us to meet for coffee over the holiday. I'll check back here soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for keeping up with me! (;